Siouxland District Health Department

Creating a healthy community for all


Reportable Disease Hotline

To report diseases immediately, use the Iowa Department of Public Health 24/7 disease reporting telephone hotline: 1-800-362-2736. 

Want to know when and how to report certain diseases view IDPH's Disease Reporting Poster.

Disease Tracker

Interested in knowing what illnesses are being reported in Woodbury County? Find out by viewing our Disease Tracker.


Testing your home for radon is easy and inexpensive. Test kits are available at SDHD for only $7. Learn more about radon and testing your home. 

Quitline Iowa


Quit Now 

Smoke Free Housing

Learn more about owning or renting a smoke free apartment and which Woodbury County apartment complexes are smoke free.

facebook twitter

WIC Appointment?

Please read the Iowa WIC Rights & Responsibilities statement before your scheduled certification appointment(s). Lea la Declaración de derechos y responsabilidades de WIC de Iowa antes de su(s) cita(s) de certificación. 

Make sure you are prepared and you bring everything you need. Find out what you should bring with you

Move Your Way

 Move Your Way link: Want to get more physical activity? Build a weekly plan


Learn more about our Move Your Way Campaign


Need a copy of your child's immunization record? Click Here. Must have name, date of birth, and a Social Security or Medicaid number.

To schedule an appointment, call 712-279-6119 and ask for the clinic.

Immunization eligibility information for Vaccine for Children's (VFC) program in English and Spanish 

Click here for more information.

All clinics held at SDHD, 1014 Nebraska St.

There is a $15.00 administration fee per child for all non-Iowa Medicaid children receiving vaccinations through our immunization clinics.  We accept cash, check, credit or debit cards for payment at this time. In addition, we are unable to accept children with Hawk-I coverage.  These children should be taken to their physician for immunizations.


Q to Z » Indexed » A-Z Search

Temporary Food Stands PDF Print E-mail

The Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals has information for food and beverage establishments, including temporary food stands and farmer's markets, regarding considerations and requirements for operating during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can visit the Iowa DIA COVID-19 Resources webpage here. 

Siouxland District Health Department issues Temporary Food Stand licenses for the Iowa counties of Woodbury, Plymouth, Sioux, Lyon, Osceola, O’Brien, Cherokee, Clay, Dickinson, Emmet, and Palo Alto.  It is recommended that license applications are received in our office at least one week prior to the event.  Applications received less than three  business days before an event may not be reviewed and a license not issued. 


What is a temporary food stand or a temporary food stand event?

A temporary food stand is a food establishment that operates in one location for a period of no more than 14 consecutive days in conjunction with a single event or celebration. An “event or celebration” is a significant occurrence; such as a fair, carnival, or festival; sponsored by a civic, business, educational, government, community, or veteran’s organization.  As an example, an event does not include a single store's grand opening or sale.

In Iowa, an Event license is required to sponsor an event that will have temporary food stands. Applications shall be submitted at least 60 days in advance of the event. An “Event” for purposes of this application does not include a function with 10 or fewer temporary food establishments, a Fair as defined in Iowa Code section 174.1, or a Farmers Market.  The link to the application for this license is below.


When is a license required to operate a food stand in Iowa?

  • When handling or selling unpackaged food or beverages such as tacos, burgers, bbq, cut watermelon, fountain pop, etc…
  • When providing commercially prepackaged food or beverages that require temperature control for safety such as ice cream treats, milk, yogurt, prepackaged sandwiches, etc…


What can be sold without a license?

  • Commercially prepared prepackaged foods and beverages that do not require temperature control for safety such as bottled soda, packaged candy, packaged chips, wrapped granola bars, etc…
  • Whole, uncut fruits and vegetables


Who must be licensed?

  • For profit organizations and individuals
  • Non-profit organizations that do not meet the exemption requirements
  • Iowa licensed Mobile Food Units that operate more than three consecutive days at an event
  • Iowa licensed food establishments that operate away from their own licensed premises
  • Each separate stand that requires a license


Non-profit license exemptions:

  • Non-profit organizations are exempt from licensing if they sell food only one day per week, not on two consecutive days, from their own premises.
  • There are two additional exemptions for non-profit organizations:
    • Twice per calendar year—may serve to the public up to three consecutive days from their own premises
    • Twice per year, the non-profit can use the premises of another non-profit organization to serve food for one day (Property owned by a city, county, or state entity such as streets and most parks are not considered non-profit premises)


What is the cost of a license?

A temporary food stand license costs $50.00

Applications and license fees must be submitted at leaset three business days prior to the event, or the applcation may not be reviewed.  Vendors who do not apply for their license in advance or are found to be operating without a license will be charged a penalty of $50.00, for a total fee of $100.00.  They will need to stop operation and complete a license application and pass an inspection prior to resuming operations.   


What is an Annual Temporary Food Establishment License?

An annual temporary food establishment license allows operators to participate in temporary events in the county the license was issued in for a year from the date the license is issued.  It still only allows for operation at actual events.   An “event or celebration” is a significant occurrence; such as a fair, carnival, or festival; sponsored by a civic, business, educational, government, community, or veteran’s organization.  As an example, an event does not include a single store's grand opening or sale.  This license also covers operation at Farmer's Markets in the county where it is issued.  This is a $200 license that can be renewed annually. 


Temporary Food Stand License Application

Annual Temporary Food Establishment License Application

Temporary Event License Application

Iowa Temporary Food Stand Requirements (English)

Iowa Temporary Food Stand Requirements (Spanish)

Temporary Handwash Station Setup

Food Safety 101

Joomla 1.5 Templates by Joomlashack